Friday, April 20, 2012

Growing a Quilt


The quilt is growing!  My DIL made this quilt for her young niece several years ago, and now she is moving up to a bigger bed and the quilt was too small.  I found a youtube video by Sharon Pederson demonstrating how to add borders to a quilt that has already been quilted, and it's working pretty well.  Here's a pic of the quilt as it started...
 ...and here' the back...
...and here it is with the new borders attached, but not yet quilted.  Fortunately, my DIL still had lots of scraps left from the original quilt, so I was able to piece them all together to make a 10" border all around.  I think I'll quilt the outline of a star on each corner block, then do an all-over meander to fill in the borders and around the corner stars.
 I didn't have any more of the backing fabric, so I just picked a Moda Essential Dot that coordinated with it.  The binding will be bright pink, similar to the original binding.  Now this little girl will have a Big Quilt for her Big Bed!
By the way, for anyone who has been using Picnik to edit photos, I'm sure you've realized that they're done now.  No more Picnik.  However, I just used picmonkey.com to edit these photos, and I'm happy to report that I give this one a thumbs up!  It's very similar to Picnik, so it's easy to navigate, and I actually think it's even easier!  So if you're looking for a new photo editor, check this one out.  I'm impressed!

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, it' fantastic. I would never have known that it was a smaller quilt that had been enlarged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree!! You would never know the quilt was altered. It's perfect. I will have to tuck this video in my favorites. I'm sure it will come in handy on future projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic. Great that she had the fabric from the original quilt too! :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers make me smile!